How to Lucid Dream
Unlocking Your Subconscious Mind
The Lucid Dream Trick
A lucid dream is when you become conscious to the fact that you are dreaming. This empowers you to control and mold your dreams. There are various ways to promote lucid dreaming, the best of which is known as MILD (mnemonic-induced lucid dreaming). MILD involves focusing on the idea of having a lucid dream, increasing your effort to recall your dreams, and reality checks. Reality checks or reality tests are when, throughout the day, you get in the habit of checking if you are dreaming. One common example is by looking at your watch, since you cannot read time when you are dreaming this can be a key cue to determine whether or not you are in a dream state.
How SleepSpace Promotes Lucid Dreaming
SleepSpace enables you to lucid dreaming with our lucid dream inducer by enabling you to play default and custom sounds when you are most likely in a dream state. Based on your body movements and how much you have slept, the app can predict when you are most likely in a dream state. If dream manipulation is set to on, then a calming rain storm sound will play when you are most likely dreaming. This will cue you to the fact that you are in a dream state and that you can lucid dream. This can also help relax you if you are someone who suffers from nightmares, a common cause of awakenings.
Targeted Memory Reactivation
The SleepSpace dream enhancer technology can also be used for something in sleep science called Targeted Memory Reactivation. Various researchers have shown that if you focus on something you want to learn throughout the day while listening to a stimulus like ocean waves or thunderstorms and then if you replay those sounds while you are dreaming, you can actually prime the memories you wanted to remember. The reason this works is that humans are association machines. Similar to the Pavlovian dogs that were trained to salivate when they heard a bell through a process where they learned to associate a bell with food, we can train our brains to dream and encode the information that we most want to remember.
Steps to Use the SleepSpace Dream Enhancer
1) Turn the Dream Enhancer by editing your Sleep Journey (only available to iPhone)
2) Navigate to the <Sounds> tab and hit on the <Tones> button
3) You should see the dream enhancer sound there. Click the sound.
4) The rain shower will play for 10 minutes. While the sound is playing meditate on what you would like to dream about. It could be something you want to remember for a test, your 10-year vision for yourself, or a solution to a recurring nightmare.
5) When you start your Sleep Journey, SleepSpace will play the rain shower sound that you just meditated on during your REM sleep, priming the thoughts that you were meditating on during a dream state in order to help you entrain and remember those thoughts better.