Get a Sleep Coach Today
Relaxation Sounds and Meditations to Stop that Racing Mind
There are 3 wind down options available in the Sonic app that are designed to promote relaxation. Whatever you find best for you is what we recommend.
1) Progressive Muscle Relaxation provides you with a way to practice relaxation and it works by both relaxing your muscles and your mind, making it easier for you to fall asleep.
2) Body Scan Meditation is designed to help you develop a mindful awareness of your bodily sensations, and to relieve tension wherever it is found. Research suggests that this mindfulness practice can help reduce stress, improve well-being, and decrease aches and pains
3) Binaural Beats produce an auditory illusion by playing slightly different sounds in each ear and is used to induce meditative and relaxing states.
The following are tips to help you relax before falling to sleep:
• Getting ready for bed is not just putting on your nightclothes! Preparation for a good nights sleep begins earlier than you think. It is not reasonable to expect simply to get into bed at a certain time and fall into a good sleep pattern after a disorganized evening schedule. Having a pre-sleep routine can help you wind down for bed. Plan out your activities for the 60 – 90 minutes before your bedtime. Make sure to include what time you will stop activities (such as studying) and include time to practice your relaxation exercises.
• The “Letting Go” Principle – relaxing is about giving up, not about striving. Trying to relax can lead to tension, so let go and stop trying so hard.
• The goal of relaxation is to relax not to fall asleep, but sleep is more likely to follow when the mind and body are relaxed. Practice the relaxation exercises on the Muscle Relaxation Therapy soundtrack twice a day, once during the day when you do not expect to fall asleep and once in bed before falling asleep. It is a simple meditation and you can eventually even do it without the track, and in bed when you may be having issues.